Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bottling Pumpkin, Brewing Simcoe

I bottled the Pumpkin Ale last night. I'm very happy with the progress. It tasted good already. I only let it ferment for two weeks, but that means it will be drinkable by Halloween, and at it's peak around Thanksgiving. I ended up with about 4 and a quarter gallons and used 3.3 oz of brown sugar to prime.
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.005
ABV: 5.8%
I did this all in preparation for the Simcoe Ale I'm currently brewing. I saved the cake of 1056 from the Pumpkin Ale (picture). Some people warn pitching yeast cakes yield a "too clean" beer, but shouldn't be a problem for this style. I've only done this once before, the fermentation started in about an hour. So, we'll see what happens this time. This is the first time I've used my yeast three times. I'm using yeast nutrient on this beer, but not Irish moss.
Last night I had the water measured out, all my equipment clean, etc. This way, I can get a good idea of how long a brew day is supposed to be. Without all the extra shit (cleaning, measuring, finding my gear, etc).

Edit: the Simcoe Ale's OG was 1.067, and the airlock was bubbling when I checked it about 9 hours after pitching the yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment