Monday, October 3, 2011

All Grain Pumpkin Ale

Yesterday I brewed my first batch with my new mash tun. It worked pretty damn well. The mash tun held my mash temperature flawlessly. It might have dropped one degree, If that. One thing I learned is the strike water calculation on the iBrewMaster App is dead on balls accurate! I heated my strike water about 2 or 3 degrees hotter, trying to over compensate. So I ended up mashing at 155 instead of 152.
I figured my efficiency was around 63 or 64%. Which I don't think is terrible.
I added some extra cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice on top of the spice pack that came with the recipe kit. So, I ended up with about one and a half the amount of spice regularly used.
I was originally going to use some brown sugar to make up for the efficiency, but I forgot. I'll probably use brown sugar to prime the bottles.
Another thing I learned: it takes a long time to lauter.

No comments:

Post a Comment