Thursday, September 22, 2011

Trub Trouble

I'm starting to get pretty pissed about all the hop sludge at the bottom of my kettle. It's keeps clogging my racking cane and I lose siphon. I don't like the idea of the muslin bags. It's said that hop utilization may suffer. Plus, it becomes impractical with several boil additions.
This past weekend on a particularly hoppy beer, I clipped a nylon bag on the end of my racking cane...

But, that got me nowhere. I couldn't keep a siphon. There was still a ton of wort (and trub) in my brew kettle  and I was not letting that go to waste.
So, I took the strainer bag, put it around a colander and set that on a pot.

It took a while, but with some stirring and squeezing of the bag, I was able to get all of the wort from that batch. I ended up with a grapefruit sized hop ball.

It was pretty fantastic.

Of course, that portion of wort was no longer sanitized. So, I boiled for about 15 minutes and cooled in the sink, then the freezer. I was able to fit this wort in a 1/2 gallon growler and a 40oz malt liquor bottle. I ended up pitching a separate yeast (from the main batch). I had a packet of Safale US-05. I pitched about 3/4 into the growler, and the other quarter in the bottle.
(I didn't have the right size stopper for the growler.) This process is a big time pain in the ass. Especially when you want a short brew day. But, it works. And it's the most effective solution I've found so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment