Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Building a Mash Tun - Part 2

My quest for the stainless steel washers is not over. My drill bit is not doing the job widening the 1/2" hole like I had hoped. I did find a 5/8" stainless steel washer in a concrete wedge anchor kit at The Home Depot. I bought 4 of these for $3.28 each... Only to find out the damn thing doesn't fit over the brass nipple, just like I had suspected. Which means the washer works on the inside of the cooler, but I still need probably 3 to go on the outside. I tried to ghetto rig the thing with a bunch of rubber O-rings, but it leaks.
I'm not sure where to go from here. I've already invested way more money into this thing than the stainless steel conversion kits cost. And, that's really what I want anyway. But, I have all grain ingredients to brew a pumpkin ale, and I need to brew it this weekend for it to be ready by Thanksgiving.
I just looked at the kits on Northern Brewer, and with the 3 day shipping it's gonna be around $53. But I don't think I'm gonna buy it. I'm not 100% sure it will even fit, I don't know how the stainless steel hose braid attaches to those, either. I've come this far. I'm sure I can figure something out. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment